What’s going on now:
- The Budget Advisory Committee is meeting regularly to resolve the district’s structural deficit.
- Construction is moving quickly, with the Albany High School Addition opening February 8, and Ocean View already beginning some site preparation.
- I’m learning about how other districts approach the achievement gap. We had a great presentation from site leaders at the January 28 board meeting; I look forward to many other discussions at Board meetings about how we can best use our resources to ensure that every Albany student has a fair chance to succeed.
What I did last fall:
- Learned about the budget and our funding sources, and worked on the development of Measure B (the replacement for Measure LL, which expires in July 2021.) The Board voted to place this measure on the ballot March 3. You can learn more here.
- Understanding our special education services, how they are funded, and how we can best provide students with needed services.
- Reading about what makes an effective school board (since research shows that student success is directly related to how functional their local school board is!).
- Bringing together students, staff, and community activists who are working to fight the causes of climate change and adapt to a new climate reality—this produced one presentation at the Board, there’s parent education meeting about climate change at Marin on February 26, stay tuned!